Joint Working Group on Energy
The overall objective of the EWG is to promote sustainable exploitation, production, transmission and use of energy in the Barents Region. Seven areas of special priority have been identified in the EWG work plan:
- Promotion of the activities of the Barents Energy Focal Points, i.e. Kola Energy Efficiency Centre (KEEC), Murmansk Oblast Energy Efficiency Centre (MOEEC), Arkhangelsk Oblast Energy Efficiency Centre (AOEEC), Karelia Energy Efficiency Centre (KREEC).
- Further development, implementation and maintenance of the Barents information and communication concept, i.e. the network of energy experts.
- Improvements in the efficiency of energy production, distribution and consumption in the Barents Region.
- Project financing: Development of financing instruments by financial institutions and the development of an investment framework by the Russian Partners.
- Promotion of the use of bioenergy in northwest Russia, which will give both environmental and economic benefits.
- Further work on the use of Joint Implementation and the other Kyoto mechanisms.
- Co-ordination with other relevant initiatives.
To a large extent, the EWG serves as a catalyst for new activities. A wide variety of activities are being carried out, either directly or indirectly related to the EWG’s efforts. The main responsibility for implementation lies with regional and national governments, energy utilities, investors and other actors.
Johan Vetlesen (co-chair)
Deputy Director General
Ministry of Petroleum and Energy
Tel: + 47 22246305
Andrey Potashev (co-chair)
Arkhangelsk Regional Administration
Tel: +7 8182288413
Vladimir Gnoevsky Minister of Energy, Industry and Housing
Murmansk Regional Administration
Tel: +7 8152486730
Ministry of Enterprise
County Administrative Board of Västerbotten
Tel: +46 102254513
County Administration Board of Norrbotten
Tel: +46 102255425
Ministry of Employment and the Economy
Tel: +358 295063606, +358 504602304